Friday, April 13, 2007

Niche Marketing: Plan Of Attack - Part 1

Niche products for me are easily found in two main places. Those two places are online and at bookstores. Either way, I get into research mode and start looking at niches.

Next, I will give you my plan of attack. I do have specific websites I often go to for different reasons and I’ll give you some in this blog. However, for now, I just want to give you the plan of attack. Sound good?

Here is a simple plan of attack:

1) I first want about 100 ideas or even more. So, I start out by just researching and brainstorming niches. This is my only mission at the time is to find ideas. I don’t want to go buy anything or register a new domain name. I just want ideas. So, I go to the bookstore, grab a cup of coffee, and browse from one area to the next reading the titles of the books on the shelves.

2) I keep a couple things at the top of my mind while browsing. I keep fresh in my mind that I am looking for emotions. I want to see “fire”. Is this a book that solves problems? Is it addressing an obsessed marketplace?

3) Next, I visit some research and keyword sites online and let my mind wonder. I want to stay focused on just brainstorming or researching niches.

4) Once I have some good ideas (it’s good to write them down while browsing), I go to a few sites online to see if there is competition. I want to see what others are selling and for what prices. I want to see how much the keywords are for advertising PPC. Mostly, I want to see exactly what the competition is doing. Is there opportunity?

5) Next I will search for articles on these specific niches. Are there many, many articles? What are these articles saying about my niche ideas? Is there a ton of competition and are there any opportunities?

6) Once I’ve done all this, it’s time to buy some stuff. I will go buy some books on the topic, competing websites products and read articles. I want to learn this niche. One other thing I can do is get bids from others to do this for me. This will cost more money but save me time. Rentacoders.com, elance.com and scriptlance.com are three places to find ghost writers.

7) I look for an angle to what’s out there. Many times, my competition is not using proven techniques and I can take advantage of that. For example, they may not have a good sales page. Or the site may look old and sloppy. I want to find a Unique Selling Proposition (USP). I want my own spin on the niche. My product can be faster, better, smarter and more marketable. Remember, someone who is into a “non-money making” product probably created a website because that’s what they love. They are into model airplanes, so they created a site. You on the other hand are into marketing and can capitalize on that situation.

8) Once I have my USP down, I look at domain names. I want something catchy with specific keywords and specific to the niche. I buy the domain name and move forward.

9) Next, I write the sales page. I get the sales page written before I create the publication. I do this because it helps me determine what extra information I need to go get and learn. I want my sales copy to be the greatest thing since sliced bread and it needs to capture people, create urgency and close them into buying right now. I tend to write it myself. However, others can do this for you… for a fee (usually expensive).

10) After my sales copy is made, I write the product or I outsource it to be written for me. I put all the information I’ve learned into my own words. I don’t steal or infringe on copyright laws, I merely learn facts… grow my own opinions, ideas, discussions and write about it. I may interview a few people in the field as well. I can ask questions and get their approval to use them in my new book.

To be continued...

0 comments: