Friday, May 4, 2007

Niche Marketing: Pay Per Click

Remember that when I was researching niches I was also researching keywords and competition. At launch time, I already have a pretty good idea of keywords for my paid marketing campaign.

One thing I do is take my product topic and narrow it down further and further. I will go for low ranking keywords that cost .10 cents to .30 cents a click.

However, I will enter tons of keywords. I may have 1,000 keywords on Google Adwords that are not expensive keywords. However, if only 3 people click on each keyword per week, that is 3,000 clicks and at 10 to 30 cents per click.

Out of 3,000 clicks I will hope for at least a 2% conversion ratio. If my product sells for $27, that is $1620 per week.

There’s a lot to getting the PPC techniques down. I tend to twist, tweak and test keywords. I may start bidding high to get better click through rates… then lower my bids later on.

One technique that works great for me is I always take my keywords and put them into small ad groups. I then put the actual keyword into the title of the Google Ad. For example, if I’m using the keyword “niche products”, I will make sure to have “niche products” in the title.

This strategy helps with your ranking, click through ratios and bid amounts. Additionally, you don’t want to bid real low when you add new keywords. You want better click through rates and you can lower them later.

I never put the daily budget at $5.00 either. I will start it at $50, $100 or even more. You want to test it fast and find what’s working. You have to be willing to spend some money. It’s a testing and building process.

Now, even though I go for tons of keywords, there are usually a handful that are the big winners. They get the most clicks. So, I will pay more for those winners so that they rank high and get better click through ratings.

Once the click through ratio is high, Google rewards you and allows you to pay less per click while maintaining a high page rank. It takes money.

You may lose money when starting with Adwords. This is why it is so very important to capture leads and get subscribers. I place a one dollar figure on each subscriber I get in a niche market. Those niche subscribers are worth money!

I continue to test and split test my ads. I continue to test and tweak my sales page. It’s a system and it’s a process not an event. Adwords can be tricky. It’s worth the time, effort and money for me though… especially if I’m building a niche list.

Each keyword goes straight to a page that caters to that keyword. For example, if I have a “dog food” product and have a keyword that is “healthy pet food”, I will change my sales copy for that keyword and drive traffic to a page that has a headline that caters to “healthy pet food” instead of my main sales page that may have a headline that reads, “Dog Food”.

I may have another keyword that reads, “Natural Dog Food”. I’ll add another page to my site and have that ad link to this new page with a header that says, Give Your Dog All Natural Food”.

And so on…

0 comments: